Tuesday, 7 August 2012

I just sat there and absorbed every single lyric.

I've been listening to sad songs all morning. It's not reflective of my mood, I actually find sad songs strangely uplifting. I think it's the fact that the words are generally heartfelt and relatable. I love hearing someone absolutely sing their heart out, and sometimes it's nice to belt out a power ballad and pretend you're caught in the middle of a life-changing revelation. When Adele - 21 came out, the first time I listened to it I was in my living room, I had the curtains drawn, the lights off and I was lying upside down on my sofa. I just sat there and absorbed every single lyric, every single note, that album deserves that. It's the reason 'My Immortal', 'Konstantine' and 'Swim' are three of my favourite songs to listen to. There's a time and place for bouncy pop music, but this morning, as I sit here gazing out of the tinted office windows with the shocking realisation that this is the twenty-third day I have worked in the last twenty-four, I am definitely in a musically moody phase. Which means it was an absolute delight when this song popped up on my iPod.






Actually nearly cried. Like when One Tree Hill ended.

So hopefully I'll be attending three gigs over the next couple of months. There's something about live music which just makes me grin like a Cheshire cat, I love to hear my favourite artists and be surrounded by like-minded people. Firstly, Lights is returning to London for a show at the Electric Ballroom, Camden in September, and having already seen her at the start of the year, the thought of seeing and hearing her belt out 'Banner' once again fills me with glee. Second, at the start of October I'll be going to see Aiden Grimshaw perform at Scala in London. For those who don't know who Mr Grimshaw is, he is an exceptionally talented guy who was controversially eliminated from the UK X Factor a few years back, early on in the competition despite being one of the favourites. His cover of Gary Jules' 'Mad World' is haunting and well worth checking out. Finally, I'll be returning to Scala to see Tyler Hilton, aka Chris freakin' Keller. His new album 'Forget the Storm' is a brilliant mix of country and rock and I love the guy.





But first things first, this weekend is Devon with Grace. She gets her results next week, and depending on her grades she's either going to Canterbury (40 minutes drive away) or Northampton (HOURS away). Naturally I'm praying for the former; I know she will be absolutely devastated if she has to go to Northampton. For the sake of our relationship and her sanity, she NEEDS these grades. This is the first girl I have fallen for since Annie. She's just brilliant, fun, sweet, sexy, she's everything I ever wanted in a girl, but a long-distance relationship is going to be very difficult, even for the strongest of couples. If she end up in Northampton, I know we'll do everything we can to make things work but it is going to be so so tough.

So for the next 8 days, I am going to enjoy every second I spend with her. University changes people, which unfortunately is a bitch because I don't want her to change.

Majorly craving a cigarette :/

Until next time...




Luke 
x


1 comment:

  1. Stay positive. I have this strange belief that everything happens for a reason, even that psycho girl that freaked out on me. If she has to go away for college it's just going to be a test for the two of you, and I know you two can handle it. Just have faith in her and yourself. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, because trust me, speaking from experience when you do get to see her it's all that much better, and you appreciate it a whole hell of a lot more than you would if you got to see her all the time.

    You two just need to talk it out and figure out where you are in your relationship. Everything will be alright, regardless of where she goes, because I have faith that you two will make it work.

    ReplyDelete