This was me this afternoon...
NEW TOY!
Celebratory Chandler Bing dance followed. Hilarity ensued.
Ahhhh I love new gadgets. Let's get Blogging!
So I just wanted to make something clear. I love reading people's blogs. Really I do. There are some really talented writers and photographers out there and I feel inspired when I see/read a great post. I'm no writer, I can't compete with most Bloggers. This is my diary. I'm not writing this because I think I can write, or because I aspire to be a writer. I call it straight down the middle, and I tell it exactly how it is. I'm writing this blog for me, to help me deconstruct my thoughts and to make sense of the rollercoaster that is my life. This is a completely uncensored snapshot of my life and I'm not pulling any punches, so just a warning. if you're offended by talk of women, sex and drugs, this is not the place to be.
So last night I finally told Annie I was going to Boston to see Ella. Whoa. She did not take it well at all. She stormed out and I have not heard from her since. Bad times. But hey, it's done now. Just like ripping off a plaster. I hate upsetting people but she would have found out one way or another. I'm hoping she comes round soon and realises that she no longer has any say in what I can or can't do. I feel like it's a weight off my chest, although now there's this horrible storm cloud hovering over us, so hopefully we can patch that up soon.
Last night, Annie mentioned in semi-jest that I need a fuck-buddy. The concept of having a friend with 'benefits' is, in theory, perfect for me. No commitments, no expenditure, and a chance to relieve some stress. In reality, and in my experience, it just doesn't work. You see, here is where I think I am different to 95% of the British Public. I cannot bring myself to kicking a girl out of bed. Regardless of who is round, I always offer them a brew, or I cook them breakfast in the morning. And after sex, I always like to lie there and chat. I can't help it. I guess being in a relationship for 4 years definitely changes you amd you get used to doing 'coupley' things. Sean on the other hand has absolutely no remorse and will happily kick a girl out of bed at 4am after the deed is done. He won't even walk her to her car.
The girls I sleep with generally get too attached. Take Emma for instance. Lovely Emma. She was my rebound after I broke up with Annie and within 2 weeks of seeing each other, she was declaring her undying love for me. Looking back at it, I definitely treated her much more like a girlfriend (like I had treated Annie) than a fuck-buddy. Playfighting, cooking dinner, baking cakes, going for long walks and copious amounts of cuddles. I guess despite being 23 and a half years old, I still can't master this 'being single' malarchy. It's like I am engineered to think and act like a boyfriend. It's all I know. Sometimes I wish I could just be like everyone else round here and sleep around without a care in the world. Or hook up with a girl and then not reply to her texts. Or sleep with someone and then have no qualms about later sleeping with one of her friends.
I'm just being myself though. I guess my parents raised me to have ridiculous strong morals. I've only ever slept with a girl and not text or rung her the next day once, and that's because I was stoned, drunk and at University, as was she. To this day, I have no idea what her name was. Apart from that, I have been raised to be a romantic fuck. Flowers, chocolates, songs, all that rubbish.
Startling Realisation of the Week
Maybe I need to find myself a fuck-buddy.
So I think one of my major problems right now is a lack of self-confidence with regards to the opposite sex. I don't think the anxiety thing has helped at all. I really don't like the way I look and I don't feel comfortable enough to go out and talk to girls. I was watching an episode of The Glee Project yesterday (I do not hide the fact that I watch awful awful TV) and they were given the task of writing a word on their boards which they then had to wear around a busy shopping centre. The word had to represent what they were most insecure about. We had 'anorexic', 'fat', 'used' and 'numb' amongst others. It got me thinking, what would my word have been? Let's brainstorm:
'Numb' - I feel pretty numb. I feel like my past relationship sapped every last bit of energy out of me. It's hard to get motivated to do all of that again.
'Inferior' - I can't help but think "Why would that girl go for me when that guy over there is much better looking?". I am my own worst critic. I don't think I'm bad looking but then again, I don't think I'm a catch. Pulling a girl in a club is usually about looks, so I have to rely on making her laugh or being sweet, which is difficult when I'm lacking self-confidence.
'Different' - I feel like I don't really fit in. As I said above, I'm not only after sex, I'm not going to drink Stella and get into fights and I'm not going to wear Lyle and Scott polo shirts.
'Afro' - Because I have the most unmanageable afro hair in the world. It is my curse and the bane of my existence. Fact.
I guess this all boils down to a lack of self-confidence, and I need to try and boost this. I need to get on a hot streak.
Best Thing To Happen To Me This Week:
Yep, my ticker. It's been great this week. Hardly any palpitations and the breathlessness seems to be going away. I'm feeling flipping awesome and I'm looking forward to an intense gym session this weekend with Papa and Martin.
I'd really like to go to a Roller Disco. There's definitely not enough of them around these days.
So despite the ramblings above, I'm actually in a great mood this evening. I'm looking forward to getting out of the house/office and throwing down some crazy shapes on the dancefloor tomorrow night. I guess I just sometimes feel like everyone has somebody except me. Chris has Katie. Sean has Sarah. Si has Laura/Rach/Claire. Brad has Helen. Martin has Cheryl. Mark has Carlie. Fuck. There is an appalling lack of wingmen right now. But then again, none of them can say they have been in a four-year engagement. It's tough getting back in the game after that, and this is the longest I've ever been single since I was 13.
So I should wrap this up. I wanted to end on a song which has really grown on me this week. Hmm... let's think up an imaginative intro...
This Week's Most Stupendously Awesome Song That Helped Get Me Through A Week Of Monotonous Insurance Work
Luke
Also, if somebody could let me know when I should use capital letters for titles, I'd really appreciate it. This has caused me many a sleepless night. To my knowledge, you don't use a capital if its a little word, like 'a', 'of' or 'the'. But then again, I may have just made that up. I noticed the name of my Blog is 'I Swim For Brighter Days'. Should the 'For' be 'for'? No wonder I haven't become a glorified legendary Blogger yet, I can't even get my title right!


My friend James is always talking about having various friends with benefits and he told me that the key thing was to set ground rules.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't know much about it, but he seems like he knows what he's talking about.
As for capitalization, if I'm not mistaken I think "For" should remain un-capitalized.
I wish I had a way to write you a long letter and respond to everything you post. These comment boxes are too small!
ReplyDeleteI wish you could've given me a big hug today too, it's just the sort of thing I needed.
I love that you share your diary with me, love, sometimes its the sunniest part of my day. Don't ever change it, I love everything you write. xo
Aw, you poor kid, you've been conditioned into being the perfect boyfriend and you never learned how to be a horny single man! You see, you don't have to be prick and kick a girl out of bed after a one night stand. That's not, like, a requirement for success. But calling or texting afterwards? No no no, sir. I feel like the way you're seeing it right now is very black/white.
ReplyDeleteYou don't have to stop being a nice guy in order to have a fuck buddy, you just have to stop being an instantly-commited one.
Thanks for your comment, ‘twas lovely of you. Just wanted to say I love reading your blog. I know what you mean about writing – I think it’s the only way to do it, really – you can’t write to please anyone else, it has to be for you. And it has to be honest. I think you’re safe on that front anyway. Don’t underestimate yourself :)
ReplyDeleteAnd, by the way, I promise you that being able to commit is so much better than not. You’ll see. It’ll work out for you in the end.
Hi there Luke,
ReplyDeleteI decided to follow you back. You were right we are going on very similar paths! I too had the idea for a fuck buddy, but am also stuck in Girlfriend mode eternally which ends up making me hurt the guys. It is best to just let everything happen naturally in my opinion. When you stop looking for what you want, what you need will find you. I am super cheesy I know! Well I look forward to reading more.
Ryann
I admire how open you are with talking about anxiety and your personal problems. I've just written a blog about the 'cure for anxiety' concealed in an analogous account of playing Resident Evil 4. I worry people will make a song and dance about how I feel if I started writing about it quite so sincerely. My body makes me feel so scared to the point that nothing seems real at all and I feel like I've gone insane, then it takes about an hour or two to get back down to earth, that's the situation I find myself in, and yet I cannot explain it to anyone. Thanks for being so Vocal about it Luke, always makes for a great read. Keep swimming for those brighter days. I'm sure they'll come.
ReplyDeleteLizzi (Have I earnt the right to call you that yet?) - Ground rules are definitely needed. And I've changed my Blog name, thanks so much :)
ReplyDeleteDiana - Aww you are too sweet. I miss the days people wrote letters. I wish I could have hugged you too, your words are so strong and heartfelt.
Julia - Believe me I am far from the perfect boyfriend. But I am even further from being the next Charlie Sheen! Thanks for your advice, I will bear that in mind :)
Cami - Thank you so much, that's so sweet. Your blog is a great read. Thanks for the advice aswell. I'm sure there's someone out there who will put up with me ;)
Ryann - It almost seems like we've had more than enough drama recently. I couldn't agree more, you can't force yourself to like someone. Love will come and find me again eventually. hey, look at me getting all corny and cheesy now!
Lee - Much appreciated. I guess I'm the type of person who finds it easier to get my issues off my chest. I blog semi-anonymously which I think helps. I wouldn't want any of my friends or family to read this, but I love stranger's opinions. Perhaps you could write under an alias? It's very common. Anxiety is horrible to deal with, and I'm fairly new to it. The palpitations scared the shit out of me at first, but I am taking a beta-blocker right now which makes things alot easier. Thanks for your comments though, here's hoping those brighter days are just round the corner for us both!
And for the record, I'm a Silent Hill guy, I haven't played Resident Evil since number 2 :)