Thursday, 18 August 2011

You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.

I write this with a twinge of melancholy. The weather is awful. I haven't slept properly for days. Everything I thought I knew, I am now doubting. The last 8 months have been so easy because I've known exactly what I wanted.

The last week has made me realise how empty my head had been before. Racing thoughts about nothing. Just plodding along, saving every penny possible so I can leave this place. A place that reaks of mediocrity, memories and misadventures. Saving to get to a place that has to be better than here. It HAS to be.

And then a girl comes along and fucks it all up. Story of my life.

I now sit up at night trying to work out what would make me more happy: Falling for someone, or getting out of Medway.

I always come to the same answer. I always choose love. I always have, and I always will.

When I broke up with Annie, my Facebook bio read: "Never forget how good a life in Love can be". I have a large canvas image of the Charles Bridge in Prague engulfing the back wall of my bedroom. The bridge I proposed to Annie on, and a memory of the happiest and proudest day of my life. I keep it there not as a memento of Annie, but as a memory of how I felt. Never forget how good a life in Love can be. I've never been as happy as I was then. I had the world at my feet and I didn't need to fight for anything. I had it all, and it felt INCREDIBLE.

I'm starting to think that, maybe, I can escape without actually escaping.


On a lighter note, I need to refresh my dating skills if I am going to woo one more blonde bombshell. It's been a while and I need to work off the rust.

Let's see what I've learnt over the years...



  • Girls love to talk about themselves. Ask, ask, ask!
  • Biceps are third-date material. Stick with the shirts early on.
  • Trying to be creative with a date is a mixed-bag, depending on the girl. Prep is key.
  • Do not take her to the cinema. You spend no time talking, and you have the awkward 'when to put your arm round her' issue.
  • Don't text during the date unless essential. Phone stays on silent. You wouldn't want her to text.
  • Farting and burping is hilarious when with the housemate. Farting and burping is disgusting when with the girl.
  • Don't talk about the ex unless asked. Listening to a girl talk about her ex is such a turn-off.
  • Don't overdo the Davidoff. You're not clubbing, you're dating.
  • Wash your bed covers and have your bedroom and living room clean and tidy just in case.
  • Make sure you have coffee. Asking a girl if she wants to come in for 'coffee' can look very seedy if she actually does want a coffee.
  • Confidence Cohen!

Female followers - I ask (shamefully, with my tail between my legs), what would be your ideal date? Fill me with tips! And male followers, please, if you have any experiences you care to share, I'm all ears. 


This photo of Cam Gigandet is completely irrelevant. 
One day I will have a body like this. 

Luke

4 comments:

  1. That photo of Cam caught me off gaurd.

    Ideal date?

    It wouldn't be much of a scenario as much as a checklist.

    -Good food (or fun activity)
    -Effortless conversation, or comfortable silence
    -No creepy pre-mature advances

    I'm pretty easy going and not very high maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh dating. Such fun. Like Bookish says, there's no 'ideal' scenario, you really don't know what you want out of a date unless you don't get it. I think the checklist thing is a more accurate way to gage that sort of thing. Mine would look something like:

    -Easy conversation
    -Tangible (and mutual!) romantic escalation
    -Involvement of walking somewhere
    -no awkward goodbyes. Either fucking kiss her or don't, wimping out last second is lame.

    Yeah that's about it. Good luck, but don't completely lose sight of your dreams of travelling :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. Last picture. Whoa.

    Okay. Well. Personally, I get a bad feeling when a guy “over-flirts.” Do you get what I'm saying? Like, he'll go overboard with the flirting. He'll CONSTANTLY tease you and wink and stuff and it's just like DUDE STOP IT. It's flattering when it's subtle, but not when it's like nonstop. Then it just feels like the dude flirts with other girls, which may or may not be the case.

    I agree with Bookish.Spazz and Julia that there should be no awkward silences. Talk should come naturally. Girls HATE feeling uncomfortable. And even if there's nothing to talk about, it shouldn't feel strange.

    Also, both the girl and guy should feel good about being with each other. If one of the people are really anxious to get out of there, it's a bad sign.

    I think I read too much Seventeen, but that should do it =)

    I agree with Julia again – don't give up your dreams of traveling. Who says you'd have to give up on love? Traveling opens up a whole wider range of new people for you to fall in love with.

    So. Back to that last picture. I just wanna say: Dammmmmmmmmmmmmn.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your comments guys! All duly noted and taken on board if I ever get the chance to take her out. I'm genuinely excited, and I really can't see there being any anxiety or awkward silences at all which is good, we are both very relaxed round each other and she can talk for England.

    I'm currently doing Cam Gigandet's workout regime after being inspired watching 'Never Back Down', hence the photo. You can put your tongues away now ;)

    x

    ReplyDelete